Killing Rommel Video
Send questions, comments, suggestions and information to Jack Valenti at the LRDG Preservation Society email address: LRDG@prodigy.net
LRDG Facebook Site:
Come visit and join our new Facebook group called: "Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) Preservation Society" (link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=156542796560). If it works out OK we'll keep it going. Let Jack know if it's useful.
Hits as of June 2009
LRDG site designed using:
Mission Statement of the LRDG Preservation Society: To learn as much as possible about the unit, the men in it and the equipment and tactics they used. Then to share that information with all whom wish to learn. To that end this group has built a replica of a classic WWII LRDG truck (1942 Canadian Chevy, right hand drive, India format) and outfitted it with "historically correct" military equipment, gear, provisions, and uniforms. The vehicle was built by Rick Butler in Yreka California from several vintage trucks and parts from around the world. Converting a left hand drive vehicle to right hand drive was one of many challenges.
The LRDG Preservation Society is the inspiration of Jack Valenti who is the chief historian, coordinator of equipment and artifact procurement and show organizer. The truck is displayed several times a year throughout the California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington areas and staffed by "LRDG clad" volunteers. This is a non-profit organization that survives through its volunteers whom donate equipment, historical information, time and money. Our society includes LRDG enthusiasts from countries like England, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Portugal, South Africa and more. The only requirement for membership is an interest in history, get on the mailing list and maybe an official LRDG T-shirt! For more information contact Jack at his email address: email@example.com
LRDG Facebook Site!
Click To Visit
Jan. 22nd 2018
Sorry I’m late posting this year’s newsletter, but a lot has been happening. As you saw on my Dec. 9th posting that I lost my very dear friend Rick Butler. At the same time I had been experiencing some serious health problems that the doctor’s took their time in diagnosing. After going through a battery of test; from Sept to Dec. they finally decided that what I need was a “pacemaker/defibrillator, which was placed on Jan. 9th. I am recovering nicely and can’t tell you how much better that I am now feeling. Amazing what a small device can do to keep the heart ticking on a regular basis.
I have compiled a list of events for this coming year, encompassing both Northern and Southern California. Kim Calvert and Jerry Finney are in charge of the Southern part of the state, Doug Boles and I are in charge of the Northern part of the state. Doug will be bringing T-8 (Truck) to the events and I will be bringing T-12 (Jeep) to those events indicated. As you can see, there will be times when just one or the other will be attending an event.
LRDG Events 2018
1. March 9th , 10th , & 11th – CHG Desert Battle – California City – S-Patrol
2. March 17th – Marina Car Show – T-12 http://marinarotaryclub.org/
3. April 7th – 3rd Annual Military Vehicle & Car Show - American Armory Jelly Belly Event 4144 Abernathy Rd. Fairfield, Ca. T-8
4. April 14th - Pacific Grove Good Old Days Parade T-12 https://www.pacificgrove.org/
5. April 25th – 29th – MVCC Meet at Petaluma, Ca. T-8 & T-12 http://www.mvccnews.net/
6. May 5th & 6th – Planes of Fame Chino, Ca. S-Patrol http://planesoffame.org/index.
7. May 19th – Marina Car Show – T-12 Jeep
8. May 28th - San Jose Memorial Day Parade – T-8 & Armor
9. June 8th – 10th – Eagle Field Fly In – Armor; T-8 & Planes https://www.facebook.com/
10. June 29th – 30th – Galt Parade – T-8 & Armor
11. July 4th – San Jose Parade – T-8 & Armor
12. July 4th – Monterey Parade – T-12 http://form.jotform.us/form/
13. July 7th & 8th – Ft. MacArthur Days – S-Patrol http://ftmac.org/
14. July 14th – Saratoga Car Show – T-8 & T-12
15. Sept 8th – San Jose Reid-Hillview Car Show http://www.hotsanjosenights.
16. Sept 9th – Gatsby Event Oakland – Dunsmuir Estate – T-8 & T-12
17. Nov. 11th – San Jose Santana Row – T-8 & Armor
18. Nov. 11th – Salinas Parade – T-12
Thanks for your support.
Jack, Doug, Kim, Jerry and members of the LRDG Preservation Society
Dec 9th 2017
I usually have good news and report with some photos of this year’s events.
But on this date I lost one of my best friends; Rick Butler, who succumbed to my wishes in building a LRDG truck, as passed away.
I have known him longer than I have been married (50 years); in fact he was the best man at our wedding.
If you look at some of the photos on these many pages you will find him and me at some of the many events that we participated in over these years. Over these past few years his health had deteriorated to the point where he was unable to bring the truck to any events.
It was one of the deciding factors in my decision to donate the T-8 truck to the Eagle Field Foundation (which was accomplished this November).
I will post some upcoming events a little later.
Thanks for your continued support.
Dec 11th 2016
Well today is my daughter’s birthday, I won’t embarrass her by telling her age, but she is soon to be a young grandmother. That will make me a Great Grandfather. I believe that Jan. 18th is the day. Hard to believe that my children’s children are having babies. Anyway life goes on.
Looking over what I posted last year about this time; we attended eight out of the twelve I posted. S-Patrol (Los Angeles area) did the Desert Battle, Planes of Fame in Chino, and the Ft. Mac event. I along with several faithful troopers did the MVCC Camp Delta meet, participated in the parades in Seaside, Monterey on the 4th of July and the Veteran’s day parade in Salinas.
The biggest event however was the MVPA Convention at the Alameda County Fair Grounds that was held on Aug.11th – 13th, where we garnered a first prize for the best display.
I could not have accomplished this without the herculean efforts from many supporters, especially those volunteers from the “Eagle Field Foundation”. Who were instrumental in bringing the trucks (yes both T-8 and T-9) were there, sprouting Vickers K guns on T-8 and twin 30’s on T-9.
There are too many persons to mention and I would hate to miss mentioning one. But thanks to all of you who helped in any way.
The last title is “Operation Agreement” by John Sadler, I enjoyed this much better than John’s Ghost Patrol. I feel that there was more research and was better written. This covers the disastrous Tobruk Raid with the LRDG, S.I.G. and Commando Units on the ground and the Royal Navy from the sea.
Here is a tentative schedule for 2017
4. June 23 – 24th – Monterey Rock & Rods – T-12 Jeep http://www.montereyrockrod.com/
5. July 2nd – Seaside Parade – T-12 Jeep http://www.sspoc.org/
6. July 4th - Monterey Parade – T-12 Jeep
7. July 8th – 9th – Old Ft. MacArthur Days - S-Patrol http://www.ftmac.org/
9. Aug. 18th – Pacific Grove Auto Rally – T-12 Jeep http://www.pgautorally.org/
Sept. 21st – 27th
– MVCC “
Nov. 11th – Veterans Day
There may be some last minute changes and I will post them on the site and on Face Book.
Thanks for your support.
Photo above is from WWII LRDG vet "Titch Cave" who now lives in South Africa. See more photos from Titch under "WWII LRDG units in the field" section. This is like being in a dust storm on the mars (very fine soot blowing 50mph plus, yellow or reddish haze\fog) that can last for several days. Sometime it will rain mud too. Actually there's a positive in that the fine silt covers everything and kills misquotes, "nature's insecticide".
Go To Top of LRDG Home Page